Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chickens everywhere!

First off, if you are disgusted by typos, grammar and spelling...this is not the blog for you!

So, here I am trying to write a blog about my ADD and am constantly being distracted. You know the joke…They say I have ADD but they just don’t understand. Oh look! There’s a chicken! Well, there are lots of chickens in my life!

I was diagnosed with ADD this past August…I am happy to say, what a relief! Finally! An explanation for the craziness in my life…the constant need for something new, always putting stuff off to the last minute, social awkwardness, thoughts/ideas constantly racing through my head, the inability to focus and yet have the ability to hyper-focus, rambling speeches, indecisiveness, the grass is always greener syndrome, many jobs, many interests, many unfinished projects, and on and on! ADD has been like an inner itch that I could not scratch...super annoying!

Once I was diagnosed, I began a treatment with Adderall, which is basically speed. I immediately began to notice a change...a change in my thought process, demeanor and basic ability to function as a husband and father. You may think, "Helloooo! Speed is a stimulant and will help anyone get stuff done!"...Speed actually slowed down time for me. It allowed me to be more aware of my actions and thoughts. I was now able to see my distractions and get back on task whereas before I was not aware of the distractions.

Six months prior to this diagnosis, I began seeing a therapist because my marriage was headed for a train wreck and I was the conductor. Something needed to be done and I knew I needed help to do it. I was unhappy, dissatisfied and confused with anything and everything. Therapy helped a great deal, which I still continue, but I was still frustrated. Something still wasn't right but I couldn't put my finger on it. Little did I know, I had been living with this my whole life! Yeah, if you are thinking "I knew this about you a long time ago", you are not the only one! Some colleagues and friends were not surprised...even my old boss couldn't believe I didn't know.

Well, I truly believe this diagnosis and treatment has saved my life and my marriage! My wife gets big kudos for dealing with my crap for the last eight years of marriage and a total of ten years being together! I can not thank her enough for the help and support she has given me! I love you!

I do not use it as an excuse but as an explanation. ADD will always be with me but now I'm learning to use the right tools to work and function with it. And the more I read about this disorder, the more excited I get..."you mean there are other's out there like me?" This is why I have started this blog. My hope is to let you see into the life of an ADDer or atleast give you a good laugh. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Can you figure out how I can get rid of my Psoriasis...ok bad joke even when it's true..hope you all the best.

    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sent a link to your blog to my daughter who has ADHD. Reading your blog will also help me understand her more I think. So...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ DoesItinInk- I'm no expert but hopefully this blog can give you some insight into how our minds work. Thank you for following:)
    @ Uncle Bob...Psoriasis....yeah, I got that too just not as bad:) There are some "funky" genes in our family!

    ReplyDelete